The Black Horse in Torrington was the town’s
main fishing pub and the salmon and sea trout in the river drew anglers from
all over the country. One such group was a number of Doctor’s from Frenchay Hospital
in Bristol (The
Frenchay Faculty) who organised an annual trip.
Pictured here are on
24th September 1955 are:-
Jim Cruwys, Cecil
Parker, Cdr Rowe, Gordon Paul, Ron Belsey, Tom Wilton, Taffy Davies and Harry
As a Christmas gift
to Cdr Rowe, owner of the Black horse, the faculty presented him with the
Faculty Fly approximately 3” long.
Printed on a label
attached to the rear is the tyer’s details of manufacture shown below.
An interesting piece
of Torrington and angling history and thanks to Dan (pictured below) of Tarka Outdoor Pursuits of Torrington for donating it.